The Holy Spirit and Fire

By Francis Frangipane
(En EspaƱol)

As Christians, we are fascinated by the Holy Spirit. He teaches, guides, gives gifts, brings forth fruit and, among other things, comforts us on our journey. However, one aspect that is rarely discussed is the baptism of fire. John said that Christ would "baptize . . . with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Matt. 3:11).

Peter tells us we should not be "surprised at the fiery ordeal . . . which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you" (1 Pet. 4:12). Indeed, Jesus said, "Everyone will be salted with fire" (Mark 9:49).

The church in America for too long has followed Casper, the friendly ghost, instead of seeking the fire of the Holy Ghost. We have turned limp at the thought of our own cross; we faint when we think of suffering or sacrifice. Beloved, it is time to embrace the fire of God's presence. It is the fire that purifies our sacrifice.

Ahead of us are days both great and terrible. Understandably, many Christians are looking to the rapture of the church. Yet to escape God's judgment is not to escape His fire. Consider: Paul wrote that the day of the Lord "is to be revealed with fire." He said that "the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work" (1 Cor. 3:13).

Yet let us stay encouraged, for our God is a consuming fire. He is coming to baptize His church again in fire, but in the fire is the place of intimacy, of power and of deliverance. Even as the prophet Isaiah wrote:

"When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and purged the bloodshed of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and the spirit of burning, then the Lord will create over the whole area of Mount Zion and over her assemblies a cloud by day, even smoke, and the brightness of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory will be a canopy. There will be a shelter to give shade from the heat by day, and refuge and protection from the storm and the rain" (Isa. 4:4-6).

Yes, our God is a consuming fire, and our walk with Him is a firewalk.

Lord, I repent for wanting Your blessings without desiring Your fire. I ask for the fire that purifies, that burns away my old nature. I ask You to fill me with the fire of Your holiness. Make me one with You in the fire of Your passions. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I long to understand more about the " fire " of the Holy Spirit. Are you saying that the personal sufferings and the trials are the Holy Spirits fire ? I truly need to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francis, thank you for this message emphasizing the critical importance of the baptism of fire to our relationship with God. I agree it is something the church needs to understand and teach better for the benefit of those believers who truly want to be followers of Jesus. I have been blessed to experience God's transforming fire in my own life. The Lord used a crisis in my marriage as my "firewalk." My marriage was saved but now my walk continues. I took the liberty of sharing your message on my facebook page dedicated to encouraging others whose marriages are also in trouble. I emphasize the importance of embracing their crisis as an opportunity to cleave to God and to form an intimate relationship with Him. Thank you again, keep up the good work and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spread the word-
    A new and 100% pure anointing oils from israel..
    “Therefore God, has anointed you with the oil of joy above your fellows. All your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia..."

    www.israholy.com

    ReplyDelete